Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Movie Preview?

.
I love sports. It's probably the thing (not person) that I love most in this world. I am about to graduate with a meteorology degree, but my love for weather falls far short of sports. The only thing that comes even close for me, is movies. I am a sucker for a $5 small coke. a $6 bag of popcorn and a $10 ticket to two hours of mindless entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I love the deep and intellectual movies (Slumdog Millionaire was my favorite movie last year), but summer movies are usually straight-up action and comedy with no global message attached. And I like that.
Now I know this is a sports blog, but we include hot chicks, so I'll include pictures of hot chicks. But please bear with me as we take a break from the NBA and NHL playoffs and MLB ... and
take a look at what looks to be a fantastic season of entertainment that makes you dumber.
I'll highlight movies I am looking forward to, and include dud movies that may have hot chicks in them.

MAY:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I never was an X-Men fan growing up. I didn't watch the cartoons or read the comics, but I did play the arcade game every now and then. However, I enjoyed the trilogy over the past few years and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine character was the best part of those movies ... BY FAR. So yes, I am on board to see this movie. Not to mention we finally get a look at Gambit played by Taylor Kitsch, who stars in one of my favorite TV shows, Friday Night Lights. He gets to hook up with this:

Lucky SOB.
Yes, I don't really care about Gambit, but I got to throw in that image, so don't complain.

Star Trek:
Like X-Men, I was never a Trekkie. I didn't watch any Star Trek growing up. However, this movie looks pretty bad A$$. The action looks fantastic. J.J. Abrams knows how to create suspense and include good action, so count me in.

Terminator Salvation:
Even though Christian Bale is freaking crazy... he is still a fantastic actor and a great action star. I always loved the Terminator franchise (yes, even Terminator 3), and I am greatly looking forward to this.

UP:
Does Pixar ever miss? When I first saw the teaser trailers for this movie, I thought "That is going to be boring." The full-length trailer came out in February, and WOW this looks good. Did we expect anything less from Pixar?

Other notable May movies:
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past: NO THANK YOU
Angels and Demons: Never read the books, but probably will be dragged to this one
Night at the Museum II: Enjoyed the first one but could see this getting old quickly
Dance Flick: PLEASE GOD STOP WITH THESE AWFUL SPOOFS

JUNE:

Land of the Lost:
Will Ferrell, Danny McBride, Jorma (The Lonely Island)... count me in. I am always down for a Will Ferrell movie... it just hasn't gotten old yet. Throw in the two other guys and this has a chance at comic gold.

Year One:
I think the combination of the shennanigans of Jack Black and Michael Cera's calm comedy is going to be fantastic. Throw in the caveman theme and a cameo from Paul Rudd and I'm in heaven.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen:
Megan Fox. I was dumber after seeing it, but was sufficiently entertained after the first one. So I'll see this one. Oh and did I mention sex-addicted Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. Megan Fox. MEGAN FOXXXXXXX.

Another June notable:
Taking of Pelham 123: Denzel and Travolta can never be a losing combination.

JULY:

Public Enemies:
Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in a crime thriller. Michael Mann directs (HEAT). I don't think any other explanation is necessary.

I Love You Beth Cooper:
Hayden Panettiere. Again, I...I don't think any other explanation is necessary.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince:
Yes, I am a fan. The movies have gotten darker and stronger in my opinion. This should be a good one and will possibly have the biggest release of the summer.

Funny People:
Adam Sandler returns. This movie will be strong. Directed by Judd Apatow (40 Year old Virgin, Knocked Up), and also starring Seth Rogen and Eric Bana. Not only a good comedy, but will have a great plot-line and looks to be a tear jerker as well.

Other July notables:
Bruno: Borat's counterpart.
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs: Should be fun to watch on cable some day
G-Force: Hamsters working for the government starring the voice of Nic Cage.... uhhhh No
The Ugly Truth: Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl star in this romantic comedy that I will never see.

AUGUST:

The Goods: The Don Ready Story
I have a bromanctic crush on Jeremy Piven (Entourage). Starring in a comedy produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay (Anchorman). Sign ... ME ... UP.

Inglorious Bastards;
Quentin Tarantino directs Brad Pitt and others as a bunch of Nazis are slaughtered. Sounds like my kind of movie.

Other August notables:
G.I. Joe: NOPE
The Boat that Rocked: Ensemble comedy featuring Bill Nighy and Philip Seymour Hoffman... hmmm intriguing.

Well, maybe I brought some movies into the limelight that you had never heard of. If not, sorry for wasting your time.

A few sports notes:

Dallas loses Game 5 but finishes the Spurs in Game 6.
The Denver Nuggets have showed that they will take the Lakers to at least 6 games, but LA still wins the West.
Nobody is beating Cleveland in the East.
Al Davis needs to die of "natural causes."
Tiger is back this weekend!!!!
I have no idea what has happened to the Dallas Cowboys ... oh, wait, they got rid of their best talent evaluator (Parcells).
Actually enjoyed watching some Texas Ranger baseball last night.

I am ready to graduate... 18 DAYS!!!

Stay classy,

B-Dubs

No comments:

Post a Comment