Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Six Greatest Rockies Walkoffs Since 2007

.
If I did this blogging thing for a living, I'd offer you the Top Rockies Walkoffs of All-Time. But then I'd be working on it for three weeks, the list would look more like "38 Greatest Rockies Walkoffs of All-Time" and I would still probably be missing some great ones.

So, I offer you the six best walkoff wins in the last 3 years. Enjoy.


No. 6: Helton Gets It All Started
Sept. 18, 2007
We start at the beginning - at least in terms of on the calendar. This is the earliest entry of these six memories. But Todd Helton's walkoff blast against Takashi Saito was what got 21 of 22 started. Wish there was video, so this will have to do. (Let me know if you have a link to video.)

No. 5: Papel-BOMBED
June 23, 2010
Ubaldo got rocked, sure. In the only game I'll probably see him pitch live this season. That was no fun. But this sure shut up all the obnoxious - and I do mean, OBNOXIOUS with a capital OBNOXIOUS - Boston fans. Jason Giambi and the golden thong live!

No. 4: 9 in the 9th
July 6, 2010
Poor Ryan Franklin. Poor Tony LaRussa. And most of all, poor DJ Jarvis. Biggest 9th-inning comeback in Colorado Rockies history, and that's saying something. This is Seth Smith's first career walkoff homer.

No. 3: Ryan Spilborghs is "SPRINTING AROUND THE BASES!"
Sept. 24, 2009
Arguably the greatest call in the career of Fox Sports Rocky Mountain play-by-play man Drew Goodman. Much like Helton's blast propelled the '07 Rox to Rocktober, this Spilly home run pushed the '09 team into October. Yes, Helton's hit ended up meaning more. But again, the Goodman reaction pushed this walkoff up the list.

No. 2: Fireworks? What Fireworks?
July 4, 2008
I was at this game. I'm still not sure how the Rockies won it. And never will be.

No. 1: Game 163
Oct. 1, 2007

"It sounds like the kind of bedtime story you'd tell your 5-year-old son when he wants to hear a fairy tale." - Ryan Spilborghs

I can't quite put into words what this game, this night, this memory means to me. I've said it over and over, and I'll say it again: it doesn't matter how many Super Bowls or Stanley Cups or major championships come to Denver. Game 163 will be that fairy tale I'll tell my son, when he asks what was the best sports moment of my life. The fact that it ultimately led to this makes it all the more special.

-AB

No comments:

Post a Comment